Thursday, August 7, 2014

Arthur's day out

After tossing and turning for almost an hour, I decided it was finally time to wake up. 

"I think I also have got the sore throat," I mumbled to my husband who was awake with just one eye open. 


"Then no ice cream today," 

"Oh yes, we are going for the ice cream party and I think I'm feeling better already," I sat on the bed. 

The shelter we adopted Arthur (my dog) from, have organized a charity event. I kept reminding about the event to Ara for the past couple of weeks, and yesterday I practically announced that to everybody we met during the evening walk. 

Of course! I was pretty excited; it is the first time Arthur is going back to the shelter after we brought him home and I think it would be a fun outing for him. 

I've been wanting a dog since the day we landed in USA. But, Ara was always skeptical about it, so, I had to suck it up. In December 2013 I had enough, and demanded that I needed a baby or a dog. He immediately agreed to get a dog. ;)

Our plan was to adopt an adult dog from a shelter, because the idea of training a puppy in our small apartment didn't fancy us, and I knew I would be probably saving a life by adopting. The search for a suitable dog wasn't easy, I scoured the internet looking for one. When I saw Arthur's photo, in the pet finder site, it was a love at first sight. I knew I needed him.  

It wasn't an easy process. We had to submit adoption papers with references and they actually called them to check our background. The process made us feel like we are adopting a baby. It was an emotional roller coaster ride too. They told that there is another application for him, so getting Arthur wasn't certain. I called the shelter almost every other day (I can be a little persuasive sometimes). Finally, they decided we will be his owners. :)


However, the gloomy Saturday morning went by faster than I anticipated. We were supposed to leave by 12.30, but, even by that time I was still in my PJ's checking pinterest. Anyhow, instead of getting up I kept reminding my husband that we should leave by now, which made him a little annoyed. (A wrong move :/) 


By the time three of us got ready, it was almost 1.30 and pouring outside. 


"Do you still want to go?" Ara asked me looking out the window.


"Of course, why not?," I frowned. He made a face and I decided to ignore. Because, although my gut told me something wasn't right, I really wanted to go there. 


So, the journey didn't start off on the right foot and just as I expected, it turned out to be a complete disaster. A small heated argument resulted us coming back home, and me taking Arthur to the shelter in a cab. Nevertheless, Arthur and I made it to the shelter a little late with a 'chatter box' cabbie. I still got ice cream, and Arthur managed to display his best puppy face and get at least 5 cookies. All of the people at the shelter, were happy to see Arthur and admired how cute he looked. 


It was a long day. I won't forget that for a while and most importantly, at the end of the day, I learnt a $50 lesson and Ara learnt a $21 lesson, on how we shouldn't be fighting over small things and not to act in anger. (If you didn't guess, $71 is the cab fare I paid. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment